Ranch style houses are pretty similar in looks. Their key elements include a single story, low roofline, simple floor plan, and attached garages. They also may have had sliding glass doors that open onto a patio or courtyard, shuttered windows, and large overhanging eaves. The brick ranch house was similar in look and style but had the benefit of the brick exterior which made it much easier to care for
Like most ranch houses, the brick ranch house has an uncomplicated layout. Living space (living room, kitchen, and dining room) are generally placed at the front of the house. Bedrooms are placed to the rear or to one side of the house, often separated from the living space by a door, which gives them more privacy.
Because the brick ranch used natural materials on the exterior, it helped to create a warm atmosphere. Therefore, if you decide to remodel or renovate a brick ranch house, be careful to find bricks that are very similar to the originals on the house. Matching the bricks will help any addition to your home look as if it has always been there.
What are some of the benefits of having a brick ranch rather than cedar shakes or some other type of siding?
- Brick has a classic beauty that is unmatched. Many new homeowners are opting for brick exteriors over any other type.
- Brick offers lasting value to your home.
- Brick can add up to 6 percent to the resale value of your home should you choose to sell it in the future.
- Brick doesn’t rot, dent, need to be painted, and won’t be attacked by termites. It is virtually maintenance free so you have more time to do the things you want
- Brick is energy efficient. It helps keep your home cooler in the summer months and warmer when the weather outside turns cold.
Since the ranch style of house is making a comeback as the Floor Plan of Choice for new builds, it is not uncommon for the house to be a brick ranch house. Try to keep some of the brick from the construction so you have something to replace any damaged bricks with or to match the bricks should you decide to add on in the future.
Besides the beauty of a brick ranch house, you can also use the same bricks for decorative walls in your landscaping which is something you wouldn’t be able to do with any other type of house exterior.
If you’re looking for a ranch style house, consider looking for a brick ranch house. The beauty and durability of the brick make it a great exterior for a great style of home.