“Thirty years ago the ranch-style home was everything anybody could ever want–roomy, informal, and affordable. Today, value-conscious home buyers with an eye for remodeling are snapping up these humble, hardworking classics. Reasons? Ranch homes age well. Their straightforward construction means few, if any, structural problems. Plumbing, wiring, and mechanical systems are usually in good working order. The floor plans still work.“ Click Here to read more of this article on www.ehouseplans.com
The above article mentions several great projects that may help you update your 1950’s ranch style home, but I would like to focus on one of them and share my ideas:
Lighting is an important aspect in any home, but in a ranch home (that desperately needs updating) lighting can be the key in transforming the interior from dark and drab to bright and welcoming.
There are several things that you can do to add light in your home:
1. Windows – Adding windows, skylights, or changing the size of your current windows will be your best option to bring in more natural light, but will definitely wind up being a pretty penny.
2. Window Treatments – Stay away from dark curtains. Try to use sheer window treatments. The natural outdoor light will shine through making the room brighter.
3. Mirrors – Mirrors that are tastefully placed in a room can reflect light and color, making a room seem larger and more spacious.
4. Furniture & Accessories – Use lighter & brighter colors. Adding white bookshelves instead of dark wood or light colored furniture can brighten a room. Use bright pops of color in your area rugs and pillows. Dark carpet should be updated with either wood flooring or lighter colored carpeting.
5. Wall Paint Color – I am sure you know what I am going to say – LIGHT & BRIGHT COLORS!!!
If you have wood paneling, here is a step by step process on how to paint wood paneling.
If the room is extra dark, you can even use a semi-gloss paint which will help reflect light. If you are extra daring, you may want to try a decorative paint finish.
6. Artificial Lighting – You can’t have too much light, so don’t be afraid of overdoing it.
Track lighting or pot lights throughout a room can help cast light into every dark corner, drastically changing the look and feel of the space.