Remodeling a ranch house seems to be common these days. People all across the country are taking these familiar houses and remaking them into something new and exciting. Some people are remodeling a ranch house for their own family to enjoy, others are renovating to sell the home and move to something else.
When you’re remodeling a ranch house with plans to sell it, it helps to know which areas of the home will bring you the most return on your investment (ROI). In nearly all cases, it is best to remodel the kitchen and bathrooms before heading to other rooms of the house.
If you can do some of the work yourself by providing “sweat equity,” you will save yourself a good deal of money. You will also be more familiar with what has actually been done in the home whereas you may not be sure if you use outside contractors. To be sure the plumbing and electrical systems remain working, it would be best if you left those elements of the remodel to the professionals.
Ranch Style Home Kitchen Remodel
You may not want to spend a fortune renovating a house just to turn around and sell it, but there are some things that you can do that can greatly increase your chances of interesting potential buyers. Starting in the Kitchen, here are some changes you can make:
- Update the counters. Ranch style homes of the 60s and 70s had Formica countertops which were state-of-the-art at the time. Now people would prefer something more durable than laminates. Look into replacing the countertops with soapstone, tile, stainless steel, or even concrete.
- Or.. If yo can’t replace the countertops – you could paint them! Painting Laminate Countertops
- Uncover the cabinets. It has been a common practice to paint over hardwood cabinetry. Strip the paint off the cabinets and it will give your kitchen an updated and desirable look.
- Replace sinks and faucets. Older sinks may have a certain charm to them but most people want sinks and faucets that are beautiful as well as functional.
Ranch Style Home Bathroom Remodel
Bathrooms are another area of the home that will give you back a good percentage of the money you spend in the renovation.
- Replace the tub. If you can afford it, replacing the bathtub with a spa or whirlpool will appeal to most potential buyers.
- Update the bath fixtures with something beautiful. Nickel and bronze are commonly used today in place of stainless steel and brass. Be aware that some of the bath fixtures can be quite expensive.
Don’t forget that one of the simplest ways of remodeling a ranch house is to paint each room, add new molding, and new flooring. Whether done in the kitchen or bathroom, remodeling a ranch house with plans to sell can be accomplished with the assurance that you will most likely recoup your expenses.