If you’re currently living in a Ranch style house, you may be yearning for some changes, particularly if you’ve lived in your home for very long. If you’re considering changes, how do you go about deciding which ranch style floor plan is for you? Here are some guidelines that may prove helpful.
To decide which floor plan is best for your family, you may want to ask yourself and your family some questions:
General questions – These questions will give you a general idea of what type of space you need.
- What is your style? Do you like an open floor plan or would you prefer your home to be more traditional.
- Will your family size change? You may not need additional bedrooms.
- Do you entertain often? How many extra people do you usually have in your home?
- How often do you have overnight guests? You may wish to add a guest room or two.
Outdoor spaces – To determine a floor, you may need to think about the outside.
- Would you like to be able to exit your home from a different location to reach a specific area outside?
- Do you have a patio or deck where you can eat outside and entertain?
- Does your landscaping include a garden or other features that you’d like to see from inside of the house?
Inside the home – Which types of rooms do you want and need for your family?
- Do you actually use a formal dining room? If not, you may want to change the purpose of the room.
- Do you want a fireplace? They are great ways to supplement your heating and add ambiance to a room.
- Do you need a family room? How would you use it?
- Is your kitchen large enough? Do you often have more than one person cooking at a time?
- Do you need a home office? If so, does it need a separate entrance?
Keep in mind the amount of money you would like to spend for any remodeling you’ll do. Changing the floor plan of your Ranch style house could be expensive. Estimated costs may actually decide on the floor plan for you.
Now that you have answers to some basic questions, you can look at the different floor plans available that meet your needs. Knowing what it is you’re interested in having in your home makes deciding which floor plan is for you and your family. Now, go find the perfect plan!